Founded in 1867, we are a small but steadily growing group of people from all different backgrounds. Despite differences in hobbies, lifestyles, & even politics, we have in common our love for Jesus, each other, and everyone who walks through our doors. We are diverse in age—our oldest member was baptized here in the 1920's and is 92 years old, and youngest attendee is 2 years old! We serve our community by opening our doors. We also spread God's love outside of our church, in our daily life & in visits to the sick & imprisoned.
Because we are loved by Jesus, the members of St. John’s Lutheran Church declare explicitly, publicly and joyfully that all people are made in the image and likeness of God, and that God has made us siblings in Christ. Therefore, we join a long and ongoing movement of faith communities to state we are a Reconciling in Christ congregation, welcoming Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Genderqueer people in the name of Jesus. To all who have known the pain of exclusion or discrimination in the church, we welcome you here.”
We are resilient. We stick together.
Pastor Foster was called to be a minister when she was a 4-year-old girl in Florida, and has led a fascinating life of personal redemption & service to God's children ever since. St. John's was going to close in 2015 when the Bishop called in Pastor Foster as a last resort to come revive the church. Since she was called, average Sunday attendance has tripled. She formerly pastored Fordham Evangelical Lutheran Church in the South Bronx and St. Michael's in Amagansett & Incarnation in Bridgehampton. She has made it a goal to keep Saint John's an open community space for people to come worship, create, & gather together. She loves her wife, poet and professor Pamela Kallimanis, and their teenage child, a budding actor. St. John's keeps her pretty busy, but she always loves to meet new people & talk to them.
Our Building &
Built in 1890 by famed Brooklyn architect Theobold Engelhart, our church building has served the Greenpoint community for 130 years on 155 Milton St.